Narsinghpur district is situated in the central part of Madhya Pradesh Madhya Pradesh is located in the Central part of India. Narsinghpur district holds a special importance being located in the Country.It attracts special attention because of its natural situation as well. On the Northern ends Vindhyachal on the southern ends through out the lengths are Satpura ranges of Mountains. In the Northern part river Narmada flows from East to West. Which is a sacred as holy as river Ganga.Narsinghpur district has received many natural gifts as Narmada Kachhar .In the ancient period, this area was ruled by many Rajvansh including great historical worrier Rani Durgawati which was refured by various names in that period. In the Eighteenth Century Jat Sardars got constructed a large Temple, in which Idol of Lord Narsimha placed worshiped so in the name of Lord Narsimha the village. Gadariya Kheda become ” Narsinghpur” later on it become headquarter of the district
Narsinghpur district is having many historical Rocks, which are being revered, from time to time during various archeological surveys. According to Gazetteer published by the district in the district of Narsinghpur, about 10 K.M. away from Gadarwara , village called ‘Bhatra’ certain “Fossil of animals ” & apparatus mode of said stones are found during various surveys.During other surveys various ancients monuments & remnant are also found at Devakachhar, Dhubghat, Kumadi, Ratikarar & Bramhanghat. Surtain Caves of rocks showing architecture of ancient times are also found at a village called Bijori which is associated with the ancient periods of this district as well as during various service conducted on the banks of river Narmada between BRAMHANGHAT & JHANSIGHAT various “Fossil of animals ” & ancients tools are also found showing the Historical & ancient periods of this area. According to historical portraits discovered in this area also beings reaction win periods of Ramayan & Mahabharat. According to reference, Barman -ghat is the place where Lord Bramha had done a Yagya on the sacred banks of river Narmada.
Bilthari gram of block Chanwarpatha is previously known as BALISTHALI. This place was known as King Bali’s place. According to puranas during the Mahabharat period, the Pandavs of Satdhara near Barman- ghat, river Narmada’s water flow tied up in a single night. It is said that Pandvas had spend some period of their exile at this place, which is confirmed by places like Bhim Kund & Arjun Kund. A Cave near Sankalghat was also associated with Lord Adi Guru Shankracharya’s place of meditations & studies.
Village Barhata of this district is a remnant of Virat Nagar of Maha Bharat period. Various ancients Structures & Architectural remainings found in this village leads to conclusions that this area was part of MahaBharat period. An ancient’s rock with the shape of human being is related with “Keechak” near village Bachai. The area of Bohani is related with Jasraj father of Aalaha Udal & uncle Bachraj, who were Kings during the period of King Prithavi Raj Chouhan.
During the various Historical excavations, various ancients monuments & reference also found which relates this area with ancient periods, exact information about the area is found in history books & Historical Manuscripts from second century AD.
During second Century this area was under the rule of Satvahans. Form 4th century the area was under the GUPT KINGDOM, during which King Samudra Gupt succeed extending the areas of his Kingdom in Central India & Western part of India In 6th Century there are certain indications of padi Kingdom. But once again History lost in vein for around 300 years. In 9th century kalchuri Kingdom established here. The Capital of Kalchuri Rajvansh was Mahishmati Nagari near river Narmada which later established at Tripuri. As per the records of history books. Kalchuri Kingdom was expended between Gomati River to Narmada Ghat after fall of Kalchuri, The area was under control of Father & Uncle of Aalh Udal. who made Bohani as their centre after this during 4th century ,this area was part of Raj Gond Vansh Empire.
After the establishment of Raj Gond Vansh an area of piece & prosperity Begins in this area. This Vansh came to existence by Yadav Rao who laid the foundation of a strong Kingdom at a place called Garha – Katanga & started a process of strong mighty rule. One of the rulers Sangram Shah (1400-1541) had established 52 Garh, so strangest the Gond Empire. The fort of Choura Garh (Chougan) at Narsinghpur was constructed by Sangram Shah, which is still an evidence of bravery of Veerarayan . The son of Queen Rani Durgawati. Among the followers of SANGRAM SHAH, Dalpati shah ruled for a period of 7 years peacefully. After, this Queen Durgawati took the reign, & gave a proof of courage & bravery & ruled for period of 16 years (1540–1564). In year 1564 Queen died, while Fighting bravely, giving tough fight to Asif Khan the Sepoy Salar of King Akbar . In Narsinghpur district at the fort of Chauragarh Asif Khan trapped prince Veer Narayan & killed him by his Cunning tactics. Thus Garha Katanga comes under control of Mugals in the year 1564. Gonds Mugals & after then the area was under control of various officers & administrative & hereditary chiefs during the Maratha’s rule. So, the boundaries of area continued to change according to the powers & influence of their people. Chawarpatha, Barha, Saikheda, Gadarwara, Shahpur, Singhpur,Shrinagar&Tendukheda were headquarters of various parganas.
After the BATTTLE of Sitabardi, this area come under the control of BRITISH rule in year 1917, which was confirmed by an alliance in 1926. In this period the area was known as Gadarwara pargana. Chichli & Gangai. The Gond Jagirs were under Marathas, where as Sindhiya had given Barha & Paloha Jagirs to Pindari Sardars, Chitu & Karim Khan. In the year 1818 British army captured fort of Chouragarh & in 1830 the control of this area was given to a committee. During British rule the Administration of this district was further improved & in 1836 the area was partitioned & was merged in Hoshangabad district. But after Bundela revolt in 1843 this part was once again reinstated in this district.
STRUGGLE FOR INDIPENDANCE
Despite strong British rule the desire for independence was prevalent among the common people (In 1825 Chawarpatha & Tendukheda were given to British Government, In 1857 the Police station of Chawarpatha & Tendukheda were Captured by revolutionaries under the leadership of Gond Chief Delanshah of Nadanpur, with this the struggle for independence was started. But in the year 1858 Delanshah caught & hanged to death. Thus in the year British cursed struggle for independence & they succeeded establishing their rule.
After the establishment of Indian National Congress in the year 1885, even in this district the feeling for Independence was prevalant & strong efforts were made by the people here.Being motivated by the efforts & leadership of Lokmanya Tilak,Subhash Chandra Bose, Mahatma Gandhi ,Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru. Among the leaders of his district were Gayadutt, Manik Chand Kochar, Choudhary Shankar Lal ,Thakur Niranjan Singh & Sri Shyam Sunder Narayan Musharan who lead the people of this district towards the Independence movements. In order to break the unity & enthusiasm of the people, the British had once again partitioned the district & merged it with Hoshangabad district but even then, enthusiasm as well as fight for independence continued in the people`s mind. During the mass demonstration of satyagrah at Chichli in the year 1932 Mansharam & Gauradevi lost their lives during Police firing. Thousands of revolutionaries faced the atrocities of British rule & gave an example of strong devotion for the country & snipe against the British rule. When country got Independence in the year 1947 on 15th August, a new era started in this district. After 9 years of Independence when states were reorganized on the basis of languages, Narsinghpur, once again became district. Since 1st November 1956, Narsinghpur district moving towards progress & prosperity in its full existence.